May is Lupus Awareness Month and today, May 16th, is Put On Purple day (POP). Lupus is a chronic, autoimmune disease that can damage any part of the body such as skin, joints and organs. Basically with Lupus, the immune system gets confused and instead of only fighting viruses and germs, it forms autoantibodies that attacks the healthy tissues in the body. I can personally tell you that Lupus comes with an indescribable amount of pain, fatigue, sun sensitivity, hair loss, weight loss and more. Some days are better than others, but there is no cure therefore Lupus is always there. Every day. You can find more information at Lupus.org but here are a few quick facts:
- Lupus is not contagious, not even through sexual contact. You cannot “catch” lupus from someone or “give” lupus to someone
- Lupus is not like or related to cancer
- Lupus is not like or related to HIV (Human Immune Deficiency Virus) or AIDS (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome). In HIV or AIDS the immune system is underactive; in lupus, the immune system is overactive
- Lupus can range from mild to life-threatening and should always be treated by a doctor
- More than 16,000 new cases of lupus are reported annually across the country
- It is believed that 5 million people throughout the world have a form of lupus
- Anyone can develop Lupus (including children and men) but it mostly strikes women of childbearing age (15-44)
- Women of color are two to three times more likely to develop lupus than Caucasians. However, people of all races and ethnic groups can develop lupus
To join in on this important cause, some of us Beauty Bloggers Of Central Florida members are rocking some type of purple makeup or nails. Check out how I Put On Purple and be sure to click thru the linky below to see the rest of my gal pals’ looks! I couldn’t decide how I wanted to wear purple or even an exact shade so I decided to have fun and use multiple purples. All purple everything, purple party, rainbow of purple! Okay, you get it. For my nails I started with Revlon ColorStay Base Coat 005 followed by two coats of Cult Nails Flushed and two coats of Julep Rae (radiant orchid, color of the year) for an accent nail. I used a Cala Nail Art butterfly decal for easy nail art and finished with a coat of Zoya Armor Topcoat.
Face time! I used: moisturizer, no primer. OFRA Cosmetics Foundation Stick 22 & 29 and Cover FX Matte Setting Powder in medium / Eyebrows: OFRA Semi Permanent Waterproof Eye Brow Gel – Khaki / Cheeks: Kevyn Aucoin The Creamy Glow – Pravella / Eyes: Black blended out with warm brown, deep purple on the lid and lower lash all from my limited edition OFRA Pro Palette. Lit Cosmetics Disco Diva glitter on lid. Ardency Inn Punker eyeliner. Vincent Longo Volume Plus Mascara. Lips: OCC Lip Tar – Lydia. OFRA Cosmetics Strawberry lip gloss.
Are you wearing purple today? Do you know anyone with Lupus? If you want to join in and Put On Purple please be sure to tell at least 1 person why you’re wearing purple. For other ways to support Lupus Awareness Month, visit Lupus.org!
Words Of The Day: Lupus is not contagious and cannot be “given” to another person.
[inlinkz_linkup id=405004 mode=1]